Through regular use, the rack and pinion connection between your Allevi 2’s extruders can become misaligned. This can result in clicking noises, extruders jumping, and inaccurate Z-coordinates. You can follow this extruder alignment guide to realign your Allevi 2 extruders and get back to work!
Extruder Alignment Instructions
- Remove the lower left bumper (see the blue dotted circle in the figure below) by unscrewing it with a counterclockwise motion.
- Slide the right extruder up until it hits the upper right bumper.
- Put a small amount of upward pressure on the right extruder while simultaneously sliding the left extruder down. This will remove the left extruder.
- With the left extruder in hand, continue applying slight upward pressure on the right extruder.
- Begin sliding the left extruder back onto it’s track. If you have the gear and extruders aligned properly, the extruders should slide past each other smoothly, without making any clicking noise on the gear. The extruders should also be level in the middle position (see the blue dotted line in the figure below).
- Once aligned, replace the left bumper.
- After installing the bumper, open the Allevi software and navigate to the ‘Up’ and ‘Down’ buttons in the position settings of the “Extruder” section (see the red rectangle in the figure below).
- With Extruder 1 selected, use the ‘Down’ button to lower the left extruder into the printing position. Then, use the ‘Up’ button to return the left extruder to the middle position.
- If no jumping or clicking occurred, repeat the previous step with Extruder 2 selected.
- If no jumping or clicking occurred, then the extruders should be properly aligned. Nice work!
- If jumping or clicking does occur during the software testing of either extruder, repeat the protocol from the first step.
If after repeating the protocol you are still having issues with extruder alignment, contact the Allevi Support Team by emailing [email protected]. Ready to bioprint? Check out our protocols page to find helpful bioprinting guides.