The world’s first desktop 3D bioprinter. The Allevi 2 offers visible or UV light photocuring, room temperature to 160°C heating, and dual extruders. Find your bioink of choice and start building. The manuals and videos below will help you get started with your new Allevi 2 bioprinter.
View Allevi 2 specifications.
Setting up your bioprinter
- Carefully remove your printer from the packaging by grasping the printer frame firmly with both hands.
- Plug the power cable into the power port located on the first from the left side of the back of the printer. Then plug the other side into a wall outlet.
- Power on the printer by pressing the power button located front of the printer. It will turn red.
- Attach the air compressor to the printer by connecting the compressor hose to nozzle on the left side (second from the left) of the printer. This can be a tricky maneuver, so for more in-depth directions on connecting the air compressor, watch this quick video.
- The air compressor must remain turned on for the entirety of the print. We recommend keeping the air compressor set to a pressure significantly higher than your print pressure. This is so that as the air compressor loses some pressure and refills, your print is not affected. The air compressor’s pressure can be adjusted by turning the black knob. It has a max pressure of 120PSI.
Setting up your software
To use Allevi Bioprint Online with the Allevi 2, you will need an Online Adapter. If you don’t have one, you can request one here.
The Online Adapter comes in a second box with the follow contents:
To connect the Allevi 2 to the internet, you must first power your Online Adapter and plug it in to the printer.
- Attach your current Allevi 2 USB cable to the Online Adapter. You can use any USB port.
- To power the adapter, attach the microUSB power supply to the power button adapter, then insert that into the Online Adapter. This will allow you to restart the Online Adapter without unplugging it. Your Online Adapter must be turned on to print.
- Turn on your Allevi 2 and your Online Adapter at approximately the same time.
- Go to bioprint.allevi3d.com. Our software runs out of a browser and requires no downloads! We recommend Google Chrome or Firefox, but Safari and Edge are also acceptable.
- Login to the software. To set up an account, click ‘Create an account.’
- To register your printer, scroll down in your printer list and click ‘Add printer.’
- Type in your Online Adapter serial number and click ‘Add printer.’ Your serial number can be found on the Online Adapter label or in your onboarding email from the Allevi Support Team.
- Once your printer is registered, it will appear as an available printer in your printer list. You can also see its Internet connection status.
- Connect your Allevi bioprinter to the Internet. You can do this either with ethernet (wired) or WiFi (wireless).
- Open the WiFi settings on your computer and connect to the network called “Allevi WiFi Connect.” After connecting to it, the WiFi Dashboard should pop up automatically. If it does not, go to 192.168.42.1 in your browser. By connecting to Allevi WiFi Connect, your computer will briefly lose access to the Internet.
- Copy down your wlan0 and etho0 MAC addresses. These are important if your IT department requires device registration.
- To connect via ethernet, plug the ethernet cord into the ethernet port on the back of the Allevi 1 and plug the other side into a working ethernet outlet on your wall.
- To connect via WiFi, choose your WiFi network from the dropdown menu under ‘SSID,’ type in the password, and hit connect.
- NOTE: The chosen WiFi network should be a private network without a ‘Click to accept’ intermediate page.
- Your computer’s WiFi will be restored and your printer will connect to the Internet.
Running a print
The Allevi Bioprint Online software is the most comprehensive and versatile bioprinting software. We recommend watching this introduction video.
- With your Allevi 2 turned on and connected to the Internet, you can get started by clicking connect!
- NOTE: Upon start up, your printer will automatically home your Z and X/Y axes. Makes sure the printer is clear of any loose materials.
- This will bring you to your printer Status section. Here you can get an overview of your print settings.
- The next section is your Current Print section. You can either upload STL or gcode files. If you upload an STL, you can modify the Allevi Online Slicer settings.
- Next, choose your dish in the Build Plate section. For wellplates, print files will automatically be replicated in all wells.
- The Extruder section allows you to move and calibrate your extruders.
- To calibrate the printer, open the jog panel:
- Click the origin button under the X/Y controls. This will center your first extruder over your chosen build plate.
- Using the Z controls, move the bedplate closer to the loaded extruder to the point where the dish is almost touching the needle.
- NOTE: Sometimes the syringe moves down slightly when you hit extrude. Use the test extrude button to see if the needle pushes into the dish. If the needle is too low, no material will come out. If it is too high, then a dangling line will be created.
- Under extrusion, the needle should just touch the dish. Do not leave a big gap between the needle and dish as the gcode automatically adds the appropriate layer height. Finer 0.1mm and 0.05mm movement can be used when approaching the dish.
- Click ‘Set Calibration.’ to calibrate. Repeat with the second extruder.
- With single extruder prints, you can click ‘Calibrate’ on the second extruder without moving it.
- In the Extruder section, you can also set extruder temperature, pressure, and test extrude by holding the button.
- In the Crosslinking section, there are three main settings: Always On, During Print, and Post Print. They use variables such as light intensity, layer frequency, and duration. For photocurable bioinks, the Allevi 2 offers either UV or Visible light crosslinking, depending on your purchase.
- Once you’ve loaded a print file and calibrated both extruders, you can click ‘Print’ to start building with life!